Monday 16 August 2010

Poker - flopping a straight

I have just finished setting the Mastermind for the decamenathlon (http://www.boardability.com/game.php?id=decamentathlon ). So I probably shouldn't discuss any mastermind until after the paper is sat

So back to my discussions about poker. In the Amateur World Poker Championships 2002 I had a hand that relates back to the Victoria Coren hand in my last blog.

In pot limit Texas Hold'em.
I made what may not have been the wisest of raises early on in the tournament.
I had KQ of hearts.

I raised pot - the blinds folded and I got two callers.

The flop comes: Jack of Diamonds, 10 of Diamonds and Ace of Spades.
So on the AJT flop that I call the "flop of death" I have flopped the nuts.

My right-hand opponent checks, I build the pot by again betting the maximum. Left-hand opponent re-raises!

At this point I now just want to take the hand down. It is early in the tournament and to win the chips in front of me will give me a good cushion. The two diamonds on the board look ugly. So I telegraph my hand, not playing particularly well, I reraise to pot.

 I realise to my chagrin that had forgotten to wait for LHO to fold. I had read that they had nothing but...

Now my RHO who I have played against before calls. At this point he now knows I am in front.

The problem with straights are that they can never get better. If the board pairs or a three flush comes you may well be completely out of the hand. Now, comes the turn:

Ace of Diamonds. This is the worst card that I could have seen. Now my opponent who is not placing me the straight has at least two pairs and a diamond and probably has already a flush.

I make a feeler bet and predictably RHO now can make a bet for his remaining chips, now I have about half my stack left at this point.
Do I call?
I reluctantly decide to fold thinking that I will still have chances later.
But this is where I make my big mistake. I have made the pot big and any other player at the table would have never put down the straight. I wanted to know if I had made the right decision but I was left in a position where I had no way of knowing.

With this mindset I should have pushed my chips in at least then I would have known that I made a bad decision.
What ended up happening was that I was disciplined enough not to let the table know what I had done at first but then in two hands time I was talking about the decision I made.
Never - let people know what you are capabale of folding.
I was knocked out without getting another hand. I even had a restless night's sleep.

What I did manage to do though was learn that you have to play poker and never have to know what your opponent's cards are. you have to be prepared to fold a hand that is in front once in a while if you are going to play tournament poker. You just need to make sure that you get some benefit from your action.

No comments:

Post a Comment