Thursday 5 August 2010

Poker - Annette Obrestad

Reading the Guardian poker article that appeared yesterday by Victoria Coren:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/aug/04/annette-obrestad-poker

The first QJ I think did the right thing (first call is questionable) but the second one yuck if you are going to play the hand you have to put the pressure on by raising the overly agressive player.

It reminded me of how out of touch I had become with the poker playing world.

I used to play online poker for a few months but then agreed to give it up. I had unfortunately chosen UB as my poker playing site.
( For those of you who are more out of touch than I am, there was a big cheating scandal witihn UB that had let people see other player's hole cards.)

So when I was catching up with this story, I went onto a poker forum and tried to track down some of the players whom I had been playing against on a regular basis. I posted a guess at one of the user names as annette15 who I remember lived in Norway. I then decided to enter it into google as I thought I could confirm the name from the old poker records.

Indeed, I did find the name, Annette_15. I laughed out loud at this discovery. I knew that she was a successful online player and had won a WSOP seat on another site, but I hadn't realised she had achieved superstar status.

I actually had good results whenplaying her directly, so good experience having played 100s of tournaments with her in it. I am going to keep my notes on her playing style, who knows one day I might start playing for money again.

For this year it is likely just going to be the Amateur World Championships.

No comments:

Post a Comment